Sunday, March 06, 2005

Inspiration

There are two major blogs I read that inspired me to make this one. The first one I would like to introduce you all to is Websnark.

Websnark is a fairly recent blog, created last August, and it's main topic is webcomics. I have been a fan of comics since I was a kid, as I imagine most fans of comics are, and this site hosts perhaps the single best commentary on them I have seen in all my years of fandom. Fortunately, however, the author does not limit himself purely to comics, and has written a number of, in my opinion, rather brilliant essays since the site's creation, on a variety of topics.

For an example, let me link you to one of his most recent entrys: On the nature of Surface and Depth: or why most College Freshman write terrible plays. If you haven't read it yet, please go and do so now.

For me, this particular essay couldn't have come at a better time. You see, this is exactly the kind of thing I expect I'll be struggling with in the weeks and months to come. If you've read my introduction, you know that I have lofty expectations for myself and this blog. I don't just want to blab and complain about my day, I want to talk about interesting things that have a bit more meaning than, say, what I had for lunch. Which means ideally, I also want what I write here to have some sort of message. And that means I need to take the message in that essay seriously, because I know that no one besides my friends are going to read this blog if I don't make what I have to say interesting and, more importantly, FUN, to read. And that is something I'm going to have to work on. A lot. Which, yet again, refers back to the title of this blog (and makes me think I made a damn good choice in picking it).

Basically, blog writers like Websnark and the guy at Squidi.net, who I will talk about in the next entry, are what I'm currently aspiring to be. Well written, topical, and with something to say that's worthwhile. And naturally, I don't think I'm there yet. Not even close. But, it is damn good to have a reminder like this that whatever I write here, the emphasis should be on the first part: well written. In my mind, that means enjoyable and, ideally, clever, but for the sake of the writing and not just because I can be. Again, lofty goals, but blogs like the two above show me it can be done.

So, if the idea of what I've written about here, if not the writing itself, has you intrigued in any way, shape, or form, I hope you'll check out Websnark and Squidi for yourselves. I assure you you won't be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home