Shut Up And Do It
So, I made what seems like a mistake of telling my sister about this blog recently. Which wouldn't be too bad in and of itself, except that she then went and told my mom, who seems to be taking too big an interest in it. And while I don't blame her for doing so, I see it as a bit of a problem.
You see, despite my having told the few of you who are reading this right now, I don't actually want much of an audience yet. There's several reasons for this. One, is that I don't think I've really found my voice. A lot of my writing so far feels like, to me, an imitation of my blog inspirations, and while I don't think that's a bad thing, I don't want it to stay like that forever. I need to develop my own way of saying things (as well as finding things to say) if I'm going to keep doing this.
Another is that, right now, I just don't have a lot of material. I don't yet have things I want to say every day, and I don't yet have a lot on here to read. I've only had the blog for a week so far, and that's not nearly enough time for someone like me to build up what I think is a decent archive. That'll undoubtedly take time, and I think it'll do more to detract from my current momentum to have people around me read and comment on it than to add to it. And that adds into another big reason.
That would be the principle I've recently seen vocalized as shut-up-and-do-it. It's a very simple principle, and yet it's not one many people seem to follow. It goes like this; if you're gonna do something, don't tell people you're gonna do it. Just fucking do it. Contrary to popular belief, telling people you know to raise the potential-for-shame-if-you-fail-for-motivation factor doesn't often work. I know, because I've tried. The idea behind the other principle says that the best way to tell people you're going to do something is to actually go and do it. And that's what I'm trying to do with this blog. Just starting it isn't enough. I have to write a lot more and a lot more worthwhile stuff here before I can begin to be really satisfied with it, and I don't think I'm gonna get that done if I have my family and non-Internet friends commenting on it to me every day. I thought my sister would be ok because she lived in New York and not close by, but I didn't think to tell her to keep it confidential, so that was my oversight.
In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm still gonna keep writing here for the indeterminate future regardless of who ends up reading it, and I still want an audience at some point who actually WILL read it. I just figure in this case, better later than sooner. Assuming one comes at all, of course.
Oh, and just so you know, the whole shut-up-and-do-it thing is not my idea. That would be one of the many principles for success I've learned from Matt Furey, the man behind Combat Conditioning. At first glance it only seems to be a health and exercise site, but for those that dig deeper, there's a wealth of solid info for success in all areas of life to be found. Check it out.
You see, despite my having told the few of you who are reading this right now, I don't actually want much of an audience yet. There's several reasons for this. One, is that I don't think I've really found my voice. A lot of my writing so far feels like, to me, an imitation of my blog inspirations, and while I don't think that's a bad thing, I don't want it to stay like that forever. I need to develop my own way of saying things (as well as finding things to say) if I'm going to keep doing this.
Another is that, right now, I just don't have a lot of material. I don't yet have things I want to say every day, and I don't yet have a lot on here to read. I've only had the blog for a week so far, and that's not nearly enough time for someone like me to build up what I think is a decent archive. That'll undoubtedly take time, and I think it'll do more to detract from my current momentum to have people around me read and comment on it than to add to it. And that adds into another big reason.
That would be the principle I've recently seen vocalized as shut-up-and-do-it. It's a very simple principle, and yet it's not one many people seem to follow. It goes like this; if you're gonna do something, don't tell people you're gonna do it. Just fucking do it. Contrary to popular belief, telling people you know to raise the potential-for-shame-if-you-fail-for-motivation factor doesn't often work. I know, because I've tried. The idea behind the other principle says that the best way to tell people you're going to do something is to actually go and do it. And that's what I'm trying to do with this blog. Just starting it isn't enough. I have to write a lot more and a lot more worthwhile stuff here before I can begin to be really satisfied with it, and I don't think I'm gonna get that done if I have my family and non-Internet friends commenting on it to me every day. I thought my sister would be ok because she lived in New York and not close by, but I didn't think to tell her to keep it confidential, so that was my oversight.
In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm still gonna keep writing here for the indeterminate future regardless of who ends up reading it, and I still want an audience at some point who actually WILL read it. I just figure in this case, better later than sooner. Assuming one comes at all, of course.
Oh, and just so you know, the whole shut-up-and-do-it thing is not my idea. That would be one of the many principles for success I've learned from Matt Furey, the man behind Combat Conditioning. At first glance it only seems to be a health and exercise site, but for those that dig deeper, there's a wealth of solid info for success in all areas of life to be found. Check it out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home