Another Side Of Another Coin
I wasn't planning on writing another entry so late, but right before going to bed I spotted another article that I thought comment-worthy. That would be this article, about a California judge declaring the idea of anti-gay marriage to be unconstitutional, even going so far as to draw comparisons between the current anti-gay/pro-traditional movement and the segregation movement's philosophy of "separate but equal" which, as most educated people are now aware, was unmitigated bullshit. All I can say is: damn straight.
I can't take the credit for having an interest in this issue on my own. That would once again be due to one of my influences, the ever-important Squidi, who has written about gay marriage in superbly convincing detail before (though sadly that particular entry is still non-accessible at the moment). When I tell you that he has restored all his old entries I will also be sure to include a link specifically for that essay, as it basically sums up my position better than I could explain myself, but in the meantime, it will suffice to say that I'm against anything which encroaches on personal freedom when that freedom does not do anything to harm others. And so, I am glad to see an article like this after the sad business of having 11 states vote unanimously last November against laws that would let gay couples marry. It really saddens me when other people or groups will go out of their way to push their worldview on others who have no need or desire to live their lives by that view, and I wish we lived in a world where that didn't happen. But in the meantime, I'm more than willing to confess that any time good, rational people stand up against these groups and keep them from getting their ignorant majority way, is enough to make me smile and cheer.
The moral: Tolerance for intolerance? I don't think so.
I can't take the credit for having an interest in this issue on my own. That would once again be due to one of my influences, the ever-important Squidi, who has written about gay marriage in superbly convincing detail before (though sadly that particular entry is still non-accessible at the moment). When I tell you that he has restored all his old entries I will also be sure to include a link specifically for that essay, as it basically sums up my position better than I could explain myself, but in the meantime, it will suffice to say that I'm against anything which encroaches on personal freedom when that freedom does not do anything to harm others. And so, I am glad to see an article like this after the sad business of having 11 states vote unanimously last November against laws that would let gay couples marry. It really saddens me when other people or groups will go out of their way to push their worldview on others who have no need or desire to live their lives by that view, and I wish we lived in a world where that didn't happen. But in the meantime, I'm more than willing to confess that any time good, rational people stand up against these groups and keep them from getting their ignorant majority way, is enough to make me smile and cheer.
The moral: Tolerance for intolerance? I don't think so.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home