Outdated Already?
So. Sean Howard of Squidi.net just wrote about how most blogs are essentially worthless. Apparently, even ones by famous and/or intelligent people often amount to nothing more than the kind of inane blather I'm trying purposely to avoid. He also goes on to mention about how most people who have blogs do so because everyone else seems to be, and I can't argue with that. As I said in my introduction, I doubt I'd have ever started this one if I hadn't been hearing about everyone else starting theirs. And while my greatest hope is relevance, I'm well aware that I'm hitting interesting at best, at least so far.
Still, I can't help but like the idea of blogs as a concept. A streamlined, easy-to-follow process for putting up a corner of the internet where all your thoughts, complete and unedited, can be heard by anyone in the world. Regardless of what most people use them for, the potential for great things is there, and I'm not yet so cynically shattered that I can't let a little idealism affect my reasoning in starting my own.
I guess if I have a point I'm trying to make here, it's that you shouldn't let anyone keep you from doing something just because most people aren't doing it well. That may be common sensical advice, but I figure a reminder here and there never hurt any of us. And in blogging's case, I hope that my inspirations listed on the right can serve the same purpose for others as they have for me; to try and say something worth saying. That's never a wasted effort.
Still, I can't help but like the idea of blogs as a concept. A streamlined, easy-to-follow process for putting up a corner of the internet where all your thoughts, complete and unedited, can be heard by anyone in the world. Regardless of what most people use them for, the potential for great things is there, and I'm not yet so cynically shattered that I can't let a little idealism affect my reasoning in starting my own.
I guess if I have a point I'm trying to make here, it's that you shouldn't let anyone keep you from doing something just because most people aren't doing it well. That may be common sensical advice, but I figure a reminder here and there never hurt any of us. And in blogging's case, I hope that my inspirations listed on the right can serve the same purpose for others as they have for me; to try and say something worth saying. That's never a wasted effort.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home