Thursday, March 17, 2005

Movie Review: The Sweet Hereafter

I admit it. I couldn't come up with a better topic, so I'm writing about a movie I recently saw instead. Hardly original or relevant, right? Still, I'm guessing most, if not all of you reading this have never seen or even heard of this movie before, so I figure if I'm going to do this, I should write about a movie few people know about, in order to inch as close as possible to the ideal of originality.

Anyways. The movie is great. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be here talking about it, of course, but it's really something quite beautiful. The story is that of a lawyer trying to get the families of a town that's suffered an accident that cost many of them their children to rally a lawsuit to compensate for their loss, but that's not what the movie is about. It's about the grief people who are left behind by a dead loved one have to deal with. That makes it sound like a melodramatic tear-jerker, but I assure you it is not. I never shed a single tear while watching it, and I'm not above doing so when a movie touches me. This movie is about something deeper that cannot be so easily emotionalized, and it shows it in a very accessible way. This is not some incomprehensible art-house flick, it's simply an honest portrayal of humanity at one of it's hardest-to-endure times. In short, it is well worth seeing, so I hope you do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home